Join a dynamic, virtual professional development experience where teachers learn to implement a proficiency based, student-directed learning environment. The four day experience focuses on the whole teacher and student through Social and Emotional Learning practices, experiential learning of OWL methods and strategies, and implementation of target language, multiliteracies, and community in the classroom.
The OWL Virtual Symposium connects teachers from all different backgrounds and range of experiences. The four-day experience is structured as an OWL virtual classroom and the opportunities for relationship-building throughout the time take you to a higher level of collaboration and connection with colleagues. During the Symposium, participants receive multiple layers of interaction; with live webinars, special selections, chat groups, provocative prompts, meaningful reflections and resources. Teachers choose the experience they want to have. This innovative OWL event creates a confident, whole-hearted teacher who is ready to dive into an authentic and immersive environment with their students. It truly is a connected experience: one you won’t want to end.
Schedule of Events
Times are in Pacific Standard Time.
-DAY 1: Friday, February 17th-
|At your convenience||Virtual Tour (optional) – email [email protected] to set yours up!|
|At Your Pace||Learn about proficiency and the ACTFL levels with examples of how to establish skills-based and mastery expectations for subject area teachers. In a pre-recorded webinar format.|
|Pre-Recorded Specialty Sessions *an additional $20 per session||
|5;00pm – 6:00pm PST||Opening Ceremony! Meet the other participants and get an overview of the weekend, as well as learn some strategies for student engagement in your classroom|
-DAY 2: Saturday, February 18th-
|9:00am – 10:30am PST||LIVE Session – Whole Teacher Development and Demo at the Novice level.|
|11:00 am – 12:00 pm||LIVE Webinar in level-specific strands: Equity & Relationships: Community Building|
|12:30 pm – 1:30 pm||LIVE Webinar in level- specific strands: Proficiency Application in the Classroom|
|2:00 pm – 2:30pm||Community Forum: Equity, Social Justice & Anti-racist Work|
-DAY 3: Sunday, February 19th-
|9:00am – 10:15am PST||LIVE Session focusing on Whole Teacher Development and Demo at the Novice High to Intermediate Low level.|
|11:00 am – 12:00 pm||LIVE Webinar – Best Practices for High Student Engagement & Target Language Use|
|12:30 pm – 1:30pm||LIVE Webinar – Strategies for Student Empowerment & Classroom Application|
|2:00 pm – 2:45pm||LIVE for Closing Ceremony|
-DAY 4: Monday, February 20th-
|At your convenience||Available for Q&A or 1-1 extra purchased sessions|
|At Your Pace||Time to review the purchased Sessions below at your pace. We are on call for any questions or brainstorming!|
|Pre-Recorded Specialty Sessions *an additional $20 per session||
Personalized to your Experience
The OWL Virtual Symposium is personalized and scaffolded to fit goals at various levels. Each LIVE session is differentiated to fit teachers new to OWL, participants who want to develop systems to support proficiency-based learning, and the teacher who is seeking collegiality and support systems. Based on participants’ previous experience with proficiency and the methodology, skilled facilitators hone the experience and the reflection and guided questions to fit your needs and desired outcomes.
Whether proficiency is new to you or you have been teaching with proficiency for many years, this Symposium allows you to explore and examine your current practice, while diving in to proficiency-based, student-directed OWL strategies. Teachers will leave with new techniques and ideas for high student engagement and the ability to create a positive space for language acquisition. The Symposium encourages reflection of practice and collaboration of ideas. By discussing the elements of proficiency-based practice, participants utilize effective teacher discourse to move forward in their practice.
Are you wondering if this is for all teachers of all subjects?! Yes it is! The Symposium is designed for teachers of any subject including Math, Science, Social Studies, English and beyond. OWL values and strategies are effective in all subject area, and build skills such as helping students feel fearless in class, being willing to take risks and fostering a sense of ownership and intrinsic motivation. The content is proficiency and skills-based, guiding students towards mastery of your particular subject.
The OWL Virtual Symposium includes:
- All online materials: videos, webinars, printable prompts and questions pages, printable Whole Teacher reflection and more
- Access to Live Webinars daily with inspiring and informative facilitators
- Access to the Mighty Network, our platform to access the materials and a place to connect to other participants and colleagues
To Further Enhance Your Experience
- Pre-recorded Specialty Sessions: Participants may choose to enhance their Symposium experience with our recordings on theme specific content at an additional $20 per session.
- One-on-one Consultations: Participants may take advantage of half hour consultations with a member of the OWL facilitation team at an additional $40 per session. Topics can include: school specific dilemmas and challenges, feedback of a previously recorded classroom session, question and answer, and many more! We highly encourage this as a follow up to allow for a successful and efficient personalized implementation process.
- Participants can purchase additional OWL Resources to further aid in your implementation of a proficiency-based classroom.
- College Credit: There is an optional post graduate credit through Southern Oregon University. $70 fee for the one unit plus a one time $30 processing fee, for a total of $100. Teachers pay with a check or money order and course requirements will be distributed at the time of the Symposium. If you would like information prior to the Symposium, please contact [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need social media accounts to participate?
- No. We’re using a community based platform that allows you to engage with fellow participants without the distraction of a feed.
If I live internationally, can I participate?
- Yes! You will be charged additional for shipping of the resource materials. With questions, reach out to [email protected]
If I cannot attend a live session, will I be able to experience the Symposium?
- Yes! All live webinars will be recorded for your perusal at your convenience.
February 17, 2023 - February 20, 2023
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Venue: OWL Online- Multi Sessions
OWL hosts live webinars daily using Zoom as our platform. Zoom can be accessed on a computer or mobile app so you may access wherever you may be!
A welcome email with a Zoom link for your specific event will be sent to you within 24 hours of the live event.
Can’t make a live webinar? OWL will be recording all sessions, and will be available 24 hours post session on the Mighty Network.
Questions on Zoom? Connect with us at (541) 690-8038 for additional help!
OWL uses private, social community called Mighty Networks for between session collaboration. This network works both on a computer and via mobile app.
A welcome email with a link to OWL’s private, social will be sent to you within 24 hours of the live event.
Questions on how to set up? Connect with us at (857)-293-1706 for additional help!