East Coast Bootcamp July 31-August 5, 2023 is at South Burlington High School! Located in a celebrated and vibrant small city on the eastern shoreline of Lake Champlain, the city and surrounding area are steeped in history and an abundance of outdoor activities. The perfect way to spend y0ur summer! This unforgettable professional development experience will provide opportunities of collaboration for you to learn to fully implement an immersive, student-directed classroom. The five day experience focuses on the whole teacher through Social and Emotional Learning practices, experiential learning of OWL methods and strategies, and implementation of target language, multiliteracies, and community in the classroom. This signature OWL event creates a confident, whole-hearted teacher who is ready to dive into an authentic and immersive environment with their students.
Bootcamp connects teachers from all different backgrounds and range of experiences. The week itself is structured as an OWL classroom and the opportunities for relationship-building throughout the week take you to a higher level of connection and interaction with colleagues. Participants receive multiple layers of support: a one-on-one accountability partner, regional, national, and international support systems. It truly is a camp experience: one where you won’t want to leave at the end!
To ensure all participants health and safety during this opportunity, OWL will be following all recommended CDC guidelines. As guidelines change, OWL will keep all participants up to date with safety protocols.
Morning Session: 9am-12:00pm EST
- The morning session includes: Whole Teacher Session (Implementation of Adult SEL), Live demos, and a strategies session.
Lunch: 12:00pm-1:30pm EST
- Lunch will be on your own, an opportunity for networking and further conversations with colleagues.
Afternoon Session: 1:30pm-4:00pm EST
- The afternoon session will include OWL Strategies sessions at implementation level and a large group share out.
Personalized to your Experience
The week is personalized and scaffolded to fit goals at various levels. There are level-specific strands, based on participants previous experience with proficiency and the methodology. Due to this unique nature of Bootcamp teachers can participate annually, and experience a different training each time.
Designed for teachers new to OWL. Whether proficiency is new to you or you have been teaching with proficiency for many years, this strand allows you to explore and examine your current practice, while diving in to proficiency-based, student-directed OWL strategies. Teachers will leave with new techniques and ideas for high student engagement and the ability to create a positive immersive space for language acquisition.
This strand is designed for participants who want to develop systems to support proficiency-based learning. Through further exploration of the strategies & techniques introduced in prior OWL trainings, we go deeper into how to create a space for acquisition.
Designed for the teacher who is seeking collegiality and support systems, this strand encourages reflection of practice and collaboration of ideas. By discussing the elements of proficiency-based practice, participants utilize effective teacher discourse to move forward in their practice.
To Further Enhance Your Experience
- Participants may take advantage of half hour one-on-one consultations with a member of the OWL facilitation team at an additional $40 per session. Topics can include: school specific dilemmas and challenges, feedback of a previously recorded classroom session, question and answer, and much more!
- Participants can purchase additional OWL Resources to further aid in your implementation of a proficiency-based classroom.
- College Credit: There are optional post graduate credits through Southern Oregon University. $70 fee per unit plus a one time $30 processing fee. Can receive up to 3 credits for the week. (Totals: $100 for 1 credit, $170 for 2 credits, $240 for 3 credits). Teachers pay with a check or money order in person and course requirements will be distributed at the time of Bootcamp. If you would like information prior to Bootcamp, please contact [email protected]
Things to do in the area
- Church Street, downtown Burlington – pedestrian walkways with restaurants, shopping, bars, and live music
- Recreation path – 7.6 miles, mostly along Lake Champlain, for biking, walking, skating – there are places to rent bikes if needed
- Several beaches – some that rent kayaks & paddle boards
- North Beach
- Leddy Beach
- Oakledge Park
- Tons of craft breweries
- Visit Shelburne Museum
- Visit Shelburne Farms
- Visit the original Ben & Jerry’s scoop shop in Burlington and Waterbury
- Many mountains to hike
- This website has many of the things mentioned and more!
Please contact [email protected] with questions on lodging, transportation or any other questions. We are excited to have you and want to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Pricing is based on a per Tier registration. The earlier you register, the lower the price. The dates for each Tier are listed when you register.
Discounts: Teachers are eligible for one of the following discounts.
We offer a 10% discount to groups of 3-5. There is a 15% discount for groups of 6-9 teachers. There is a 20% discount for groups of 10 or more. The training is highly beneficial to groups and departments, as there is both specific strand and whole group time. Teachers of varying experience levels of OWL will all learn and grow individually and together. There are also extended lunch times everyday where groups can choose to network and/or meet together.
Previous Bootcamp Attendee Discount
Any teacher who has previously attended Bootcamp is eligible for a 10% discount. Please contact us prior to registering to access your discount: [email protected]
Funding Tips & Recommendations
We suggest checking with your school about Title Funds and monies. Our work falls into many different categories and teachers have received funding assistance (partial or full) from Title money. Please contact us if you need specific information from us in order to apply or request funds: [email protected]
We offer payment plans. Please contact [email protected] if you are interested.
Please let us know if you have found a way to receive financial assistance that may be open to other teachers. We would love to make Bootcamp as accessible as possible to all.
Prior to April 30– 75% back
May 1 – May 31– 50% back
June 1 – June 30 -25% back
On or After After July 1 – No Refund
July 31, 2023 - August 4, 2023
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Venue: South Burlington High School